To provide the public accurate, permanent records of important legal documents.
To provide exceptional customer service carrying out all mandated functions accurately and efficiently.
What We Do
Record Land Documents
The main function of our office is the recording of documents pertaining to real property ownership in Kootenai County.
- 48,722 recorded documents raised county revenue of $928,794 in fiscal year 2017.
Process Passport Applications
As an additional service for our County residents, we are a Passport Acceptance Facility. We perform this service according to regulations of the United States Department of State.
- In FY17 we have reviewed and processed 4,769 applications which has brought in $118,850 to the county.
Issue Beverage Licenses
We issue beverage licenses and catering permits to establishments selling or producing alcoholic beverages within Kootenai County
- 422 beverage licenses and 31 catering permits made $90,518 county revenue in FY17.
Issue Marriage Licenses
Another duty is issuing marriage licenses for those who wish to marry within Idaho.
- 2,458 marriage license produced county revenue of $38,459 in fiscal year 2017.
Archive Historical Documents
Our office has been working to make all of our historical documents available via electronic means. We have documents that date back to 1881.
The removal of books has allowed us to plan for expansion of the public research area in our upstairs vault. We have designed a new counter area for our research computers to give you more room and better access to our archives.
- Completed scanning more than 30,000 images from the Release of Mortgage books dated 1882 to 1992.
- Importing 34,842 marriage images into our current database.
- Importing 12,000 deed documents from 1997 and 1998.
- Rescanning hard to read images as needed.
This department does not require any tax revenues to operate -- completely self-sufficient.
For more about the Recorder's office, please visit the Kootenai County Clerk's website.